Are you a pet owner and wondering how you can keep your pet safe during a lawn treatment? It's normal to worry about the products being used on your lawn, how safe they are for your pets, and how long you should be keeping your pets off of your lawn after treatment. We get it! That is why we have listed some helpful tips below regarding what you can do to keep your pets safe before, during, and after your lawn has undergone a care treatment such as fertilization.
Things To Do Before the Day of Your Lawn Care Treatment
- Set a designated spot on your lawn that will be left untreated. You can actually tell your lawn care professional to skip over a spot on your lawn and use this area for your pets for a few days following the treatment. This will give you peace of mind that your pets are not being exposed to any chemicals.
- Clean up the toys from the lawn. Gather all the pet toys before the treatment. This includes their chew toys and even the equipment that you use for training them outside. Leaving them on the lawn or nearby will allow them to collect herbicides, which can be unsafe for your pets.
- Don't leave food and water bowls on the lawn. Aside from toys, homeowners should also keep any food dishes and water bowls away from the lawn during treatment application. These, too, can easily collect herbicides and harm your pets.
- Ask about what products will be used to treat the lawn. Even if you've already done the tips outlined above, you might still be concerned about the safety of your pets. You can ask your lawn care professional about the products they are using and then do some research on them. You can even ask your veterinarian about the products and for further advice.
At Big Lakes Lawncare, we offer transparency by keeping our clients informed about the products we use on their lawn.
Things To Do on the Day of Your Lawn Care Treatment
- Keep your pets inside on the day of your lawn care treatment. Because it is likely that chemicals are going to be used during your lawn care treatment, it is important to keep your pets indoors during the process. If you will not be at home when the lawn is being treated, be sure to inform your lawn care company where your pets will be. Your lawn care professionals should be able to tell you when it is safe for you to let your pets outdoors again. If your pets are easily bored when cooped up inside, keep them engaged with indoor games like fetch or puzzle toys.
- Keep pets off the lawn for at least 24 hours after treatment. Your pets need to be kept off the lawn for at least 24 hours to allow the products to sink into the ground. If the lawn was treated with a granular product, be sure your grass is watered right after the application so that it can absorb into the ground.
Call our professionals today for safe and effective lawn care treatments.
At Big Lakes Lawncare, we understand the concern for your pets when scheduling a lawn care treatment. We know how important they are! After all, they are part of the family. Our team can easily answer all your questions about the products we use in our lawn care treatments for our clients in Macomb, Chesterfield, Shelby, Michigan and surrounding areas.
You can call (586) 200-0855 to talk to one of our professionals if you have any concerns. We are always ready to answer and put you at ease because we strive to make our customers happy with our services.